Auction #29b: Signed copy of YA novel Not Like You from Deborah Davis
Description: The top five book winners will receive a copy of the YA novel, NOT LIKE YOU. “Starting a new chapter” is how Kayla’s mother, Marilyn, has always referred to their abrupt moves—five in the past two years. But what Kayla hates even more than moving is Marilyn’s drinking. It once landed Kayla in foster care, so she’ll do whatever it takes to keep her mother from falling apart again. Just until she turns eighteen, less than three years away. Now Marilyn has moved them to New Mexico, and promised, yet again, to quit booze for good. Kayla knows better than to believe her, but something about this move does feel different. Kayla is putting down roots, earning money as a dog walker, and spending time with Remy, a twenty-four-year-old musician. He’s her refuge from Marilyn’s daily struggle to stay sober. And after years of taking care of her mother, Kayla is starting to think of herself and who she wants to be. She knows for sure who she doesn’t want to be. But is she willing to do whatever it takes to create her own life—even if it means leaving her mother behind? Sharply honest and beautifully written, Deborah Davis’s powerful novel is about loving someone else enough to stay with her through anything—and loving yourself enough to let her go.
Estimated Value: $25 times 5 winners
Minimum Bid: $20
Bidder pays shipping
Auction Begins: Thursday 3/24 @ 1:30PM EDT
Auction Ends: Tuesday 3/29 @ 1:30PM EDT
Bio: Deborah Davis is the author of three award-winning novels for young people and editor of a non-fiction anthology. She teaches writing workshops, speaks at conferences, and offers manuscript critiques as well as coaching and mentoring for teen and adult writers. Her most recent novel, Not Like You, was included in the NYPL’s Books for the Teen Age, received a starred review in School Library Journal, and was a finalist for the Northern California Independent Bookseller’s Association Book of the Year Award. She lives in Berkeley, CA.
Author Deborah Davis’s Website: http://www.deborahdavisauthor.com
- Bid by posting a comment with your bid amount; anonymous bidding is not allowed.
- Do not bid unless you intend to pay that amount to a designated charity organization.
- Bids are in U.S. Dollars.
- Bids under $50 must be at least $1 more than the previous bid; bids from $50 to under $100 must be at least $2 more than the previous bid; bids of $100 or more must be at least $5 more than the previous bid. Overbids are encouraged.
- Highest bid before the end of the auction wins; if the highest bid is less than the reserve amount, the auction is extended until the reserve amount is reached; if no reserve amount is stated, the reserve amount is 50% of the item’s estimated value.
- Winning bid is not final until the winning bidder is notified by email. Winning bidder must donate the winning bid amount to a designated charity organization and provide a copy of the receipt within three days of notification.
- Winning bidder send donor a check to cover standard shipping.