Auction #109: signed copy of award-winning novel-in-poems, GIRL COMING IN FOR A LANDING from April Halprin Wayland
Description: A signed, hardcover, first edition! This book traces the excitement and anguish of a young woman on the verge of adolescence who writes poetry. Afterward includes specific suggestions for writing and submitting poetry. Each of the 120 poems is illustrated in black and white collage by Elaine Clayton.
- Winner of the Lee Bennett Hopkins Honor Award for Children’s Poetry
- Winner of the Myra Cohn Livingston Award for Poetry
- Junior Library Guild selection
- Nominated as an ALA Best Book for Young Adults
- Nominated for 2003 ALA Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers
- Ranked #2 in Kidzworld’s TOP READS
- a Spectrum Chldren’s Book Club GOOD READ!
Estimated Value: $25 times 3 winners
Auction Begins: Thursday 4/7 @ 1:00PM EDT
Auction Ends: Tuesday 4/12 @ 1:00PM EDT
Bio: April Halprin Wayland is a farmer turned folk musician turned author and poet.
Her newest book, NEW YEAR AT THE PIER—A Rosh Hashanah Story won the Sydney Taylor Gold Medal for the best Jewish Children’s Picture Book of the Year, awarded by the Association of Jewish Libraries.
Her work has been called “dazzling”, “honest, heartfelt, poignant”, and “utterly fresh and winning”. Her critically acclaimed novel in poems, Girl Coming in for a Landing, her picture books, and her poetry have garnered numerous awards including the Lee Bennett Hopkins Honor Award for Children’s Poetry, the Myra Cohn Livingston Award for Poetry, and MommyCare’s Book of the Year.
Every April, which is Poetry Month, she posts an original poem a day here: http://www.aprilwayland.com/poetry/blog
She’s been an instructor in UCLA Extension’s Writers Program for over a decade and teaches workshops in schools all over the world. She lives near the beach in Southern California.
Her blog is: http://www.teachingauthors.com ~ six authors who also teach writing…find writing activities, author interviews and more here
Author April Halprin Wayland’s Website: http://www.aprilwayland.com
- Bid by posting a comment with your bid amount; anonymous bidding is not allowed.
- Do not bid unless you intend to pay that amount to a designated charity organization.
- Bids are in U.S. Dollars.
- Bids under $50 must be at least $1 more than the previous bid; bids from $50 to under $100 must be at least $2 more than the previous bid; bids of $100 or more must be at least $5 more than the previous bid. Overbids are encouraged.
- Highest bid before the end of the auction wins; if the highest bid is less than the reserve amount, the auction is extended until the reserve amount is reached; if no reserve amount is stated, the reserve amount is 50% of the item’s estimated value.
- Winning bid is not final until the winning bidder is notified by email. Winning bidder must donate the winning bid amount to a designated charity organization and provide a copy of the receipt within three days of notification.
- For physical items, unless otherwise noted, donor pays standard shipping within the U.S.; winning bidder pays for express shipping or for shipping outside the U.S.